The New York Paranormal Society has a lengthy resume when it comes to investigating the paranormal. Over the past twelve years, the members of NYPS (and during our previous incarnation as EPIC as well) have done numerous interviews and media appearances covering some of their more high-profile investigations, most of which are listed below.
Television & Documentary Appearances
The UnXplained, August 2nd, 2019: Jason Stroming appeared on this new History Channel Show hosted by William Shatner. This particular episode was entitled “Strange Creatures,” and featured stories on the Mothman, el chupacabra, goatman, thunderbirds, and more. Jason was on speaking as a witness and relating his encounter with a Bigfoot-like creature.
BuzzFeed, September 2nd, 2016: Jason Stroming spoke to BuzzFeed’s Leslie Rodriguez and photographer Lauren Zaser about the basics of ghost hunting and investigating the paranormal at one of New York City’s most famous haunted locations, One if by Land, Two if by Sea. A fun (and funny) article about the ins and outs of ghost hunting.
CNN, July 14th 2016: Laura Pennace was interviewed by CNN regarding the new “Ghostbusters” reboot, and the issues of sexism that have surrounded the movie and the paranormal field in general. Laura discusses what it’s like being a real paranormal investigator, sexism in the paranormal community, and what she thinks of the new film’s all-female cast.
Haunted Snug Harbor: A documentary about Sailor’s Snug Harbor on Staten Island, New York, a location we have investigated many times. Written & Directed by Brian J. Cano (of The Haunted Collector and SCARED!) and Chris Mancuso (SCARED!), this film covers the history of Snug Harbor, but also takes a look at the claims of paranormal activity there. SCARED!, the New York Paranormal Society, and the Staten Island Paranormal Society teamed up to investigate Snug Harbor, and the results are shown here.
Dark Matters on the Science Channel: Jason Stroming was interviewed for multiple episodes of “Dark Matters: Twisted But True” which is airing on the Science Channel, part of the Discovery Channel. The show examines what happens when scientific research goes too far, and features such stories the Philadelphia Experiment, Stalin’s experiments with an ape-man army, Nazi UFOs, the government’s mind control program MK-ULTRA, zombies and the true story of Frankenstein’s monster, and much more. The show is hosted by John Noble of the TV show “Fringe.”
Pop Matters – Review of “Dark Matters”: Jason Stroming and NYPS are mentioned in this review of the premiere episode of the new Science Channel series “Dark Matters: Twisted But True” by the online pop culture magazine Pop Matters. Click here for the online version, or you can see the text-only version here.
LOVE/LUST on the Sundance Channel: Jason Stroming was interviewed for this episode of “LOVE/LUST” regarding the paranormal, including topics such as UFOs, ghosts & ghost hunting, psychics and witchcraft. Jason mainly speaks on the topics of UFOs and ghost hunting. The show explores America’s fascination with all things paranormal and its impact on poular culture. You can catch the show in repeated airings on the Sundance Channel and you can also download the episode in its entirety on iTunes!
NBC News, October 2009: This is the segment that WNBC, Channel 4 in New York City, did on our second investigation of The Bridge Café in Lower Manhattan. We caught some interesting evidence on this investigation, and we talk about it in this clip. This aired during the 11pm newscast on October 30th, 2009. Thanks to Andrew Siff and the NBC News team!
NBC News, October 2008: This is the segment that WNBC, Channel 4 in New York City, did on our second investigation of St. Andrew’s Church. The footage we captured on our first investigation of the chimes on the altar moving is included in this video as well. This aired during the 11pm newscast on October 30th, 2008. Thanks to Erika Tarantal and the NBC News team!
NY1 News, October 2007: This segment is from October 2007. On Monday, October 29th, we conducted a follow-up investigation of the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum on Staten Island, New York. The crew from NY1 documented the investigation, from setting up our equipment, interviewing us about the equipment and our past experiences at the Museum, and even the investigation itself. Seeing that we were serious & scientific, but also had a lot of fun doing what we do, they also did a few side segments with us, with the requisite “Ghostbusters” humor. You can see the segment in its entirety here.
Unknown Origins Radio had Jason Stroming on to talk about our blog, The Occult Section, on Sunday, January 29th. Jason was the sole guest for this show, talking about the blog, recent paranormal events in the world, favorite stories from the past year, and even some little-known cryptids. A special thanks to the hosts, Mark Johnson, Loren Miko DePinto, and Karrie-Ann Versace (who also happens to be one of our good friends from the SCARED! crew!). Click the link to go to the archives and have a listen!
Unknown Origins Radio had their first Paranormal Roundtable event on Sunday, May 22nd. Jason Stroming was a guest alongside many other leading paranormal investigators in the field, such as Tom Mullen, Kendra Belgrad, and KD Foreman. And a special thanks to our hosts, Mark Johnson, Loren Miko DePinto, and Karrie-Ann Versace (who also happens to be one of our good friends from the SCARED! crew!). Click the link to go to the archives and have a listen!
WFMU 91.1 FM had Jason Stroming on their “Night People” program again, on the night of Wednesday, October 28th, 2009. Click the link to be taken to their archives page, where you can stream the show in multiple formats. The interview lasts about 45 minutes, and we talk about some of our past cases this previous year. Our portion of the program is about an hour into the broadcast. Thanks again to Dave Perlis and Andy Theodorou!
WFMU 91.1 FM had us on their “Night People” program on the night of Wednesday, October 30th, 2008. Click the link to be taken to their archives page, where you can stream the show in multiple formats. Our interview lasts about 90 minutes, and turned out to be a lot of fun!
Newspapers, Magazines, Books and Online Print Media
- Mental Floss interviewed Jason Stroming about ghost hunting equipment for their Halloween 2018 article. Our investigations of the Matron’s House at Snug Harbor were mentioned, and they did a good job of highlighting our skeptical approach in trying to find rational explanations for reported paranormal activity first and foremost.
- The New York Post interviewed Jason Stroming about ghost hunting and hauntings in and around New York City, in a piece that ran on October 27th, 2016, specifically mentioning our investigations of the Matron’s House at Snug Harbor as well as the private home of a couple in Manhattan.
- The Gothamist interviewed Jason Stroming and Laura Pennace back in October 2013, regarding such subjects as ghost hunting equipment, Ouija boards, using our “sixth sense,” and our favorite investigations.
- DNA Info, an online news magazine covering NYC, had an article featuring us and our friends at the Staten Island Paranormal Society (SIPS) regarding the haunted tours we co-hosted at The Garibaldi-Meucci Museum on Staten island. The article, which ran on October 24, 2012, has us talking about our past investigations of the museum, as well as what guests can expect on the tours. (Click here if link doesn’t work)
- The Gardner News also ran a story about our investigation of the Narraganset Historical Society and susequent presentation of our evidence. Reporter Damien Fisher interviewed us after the presentation and wrote this great article!
- The Worcester Telegram & Gazette ran a story in the Monday, November 21st edition of their paper, covering our investigation of the Narragansett Historical Society in Templeton, MA. Reporter George Barnes was there on November 19th as we presented our findings to the curators of the museum as well as members of the town, who were invited to come and see our findings, meet us and ask any questions they had. (Click here if link doesn’t work)
- DNA Info, an online news magazine covering NYC, had an article featuring us for their Halloween article “Ghostly Haunts In Your Neighborhood.” The article, which ran on October 26, 2011, has us talking about our investigations of The Bridge Cafe in downtown Manhattan. (Click here if link doesn’t work)
- The Staten Island Advance ran our story on the front page of their October 25th edition, covering our investigation of St. Andrew’s Church on Staten Island, NY.
- Haunted New York City: In this book on the ghosts of New York City, author Cheri Revai cites Jason Stroming and his article on the Conference House for her section regarding the possible hauntings at The Conference House.
- TAPS Paramagazine: In 2007, Jason Stroming was interviewed by TAPS Paramagazine about The Conference House, purported to be one of New York’s most haunted locations. The article appeared in the September 2007 Issue.
- NY Metro: On Monday, October 30th, 2007, we were profiled in Metro, a free morning newspaper distributed in NYC, Boston and Philadelphia. The previous night, Michael Rundle from Metro followed us on our re-investigation of the Garibaldi-Meucci Museum.